Sunday, September 14, 2008

Experiment

Interesting experiment described on the radio this morning in connexion with Cern. I tried part of it for myself and here is the result:

I've always found it slightly disturbing that nothing can be seen to be emitted from the little bulb in the end of a remote control - now, with the aid of a digital camera, it can!

On a different note, my wife and I watched L'Ennui yesterday evening. I found it very absorbing to begin with but am of the opinion that the ending ruined it. Up to that point, it had been an almost meditative film (in the vein of
Caché) on the theme of obsession, romantic jealousy and the like. It felt, at the end, that all this was undermined for no better reason than to introduce a bit of plot. How unlike French cinema! More positively, the film made me aware of the quality of Charles Berling's acting. Not only was it marvellously frenzied and totally convincing but also very different from L'Heure d'été, the last film I happen to have seen him in on the local Silver Screen.

As I write, I am drinking ([un]bottled) Guinness for medicinal purposes.

1 comment:

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I will have to come round a watch some French cinema with you some time. I only have Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources here to keep me going at the moment.