Sunday, October 11, 2009

So what happened, then? I don't quite know.

So it has been an unconscionably long time since I last made a post: mea maxima culpa! Forgive me, gentle readers.

I spent this afternoon trying to find the source for Heidegger's statment that if he were to write a theology, the word 'being' would not appear in it. If any philosophers are reading this, they may be interested to know that it's in GA15, 436-7. It's his reply to the third question asked after his Zurich seminar in 1951. So it does exist. I suspected (and rather hoped) that it had been made up by theologians.

Then I went to Choral Evensong and dinner in College. As I left College by the back gate, I noticed a chavvy looking car with tinted windows and a loud exhaust go past. I thought nothing of it until, further down the road, I saw it coming towards me again. As it drew level, something was thrown or sprayed at me from the back window. I don't know what even now! A firework? Some kind of liquid? It made a fizzing sound, anyway. And missed. Having recovered from my surprise, I looked after the car as it drove on up the road and noticed it turning left. Thinking it might come round a third time for another pop at me, I started to leg it. Once I was on the path by the river I began to relax but I still wonder what happened. Perhaps I'll never know. I had an umbrella with me and, had I had time, would have put it to good use in deflecting the entity or substance that was directed at me. I'll remember this for the future. An Englishman's umbrella is his castle, or so they say.

No comments: